Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Disestablishment

The main focus of my life at the moment is the disestablishment of the team I work in - the Educational Development Centre at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand. I work 0.5 in the team as a program developer which means I support teachers to look at their courses and programs, and support them to make changes, or develop new ideas. I do some technical support with Moodle.....teach in the Graduate Certificate of Tertiary Learning and Teaching...run workshops on how to use social media for learning and teaching....and any other bits and pieces that comes through the door.

EDC as a whole is being re-organised into three separate units which I think is a good idea. It will allow a much more focused approach to staff and program development. The downside for us, as a team, is we have to apply for the new jobs or take redundancy.

My initial reaction was shock...I think that is only natural when you are faced with redundancy. However, now I have had time to reflect, I am thinking this is a great opportunity to review what I have been doing for the last few years, do a skills and experience stock-take, and think about my future direction.

It's time for a change....

“20 years from now you will be disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the one’s you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

No comments: